A couple years ago, Matt Cutts, Google’s head of search spam, listed off the top five SEO mistakes webmasters make by volume.
These are not the worst mistakes, but the most common by volume.
(1) Not having a domain or having a website that is not crawlable is the biggest mistake.
(2) Not including the right words on the page. The example Matt gave is: don’t just write, “Mt. Everest Height” but write, “How high is Mt. Everest?” because that is how people search.
(3) Don’t think about link building, think about compelling content and marketing.
(4) Don’t forget to think about the title and description of your most important pages.
(5) Not using webmaster resources and learning about how Google works and what SEO is about.
While the video is a couple years old, it serves as a great reminder of some basics that are necessary for good SEO. Sometimes the biggest innovations aren’t about doing grand things, but simple things really well.
If you’re looking to add SEO or improve existing SEO, contact our offices in Los Gatos, CA and Joplin, MO to see how we can serve you.